This dish is another one that is a must for our holiday table. You can’t have turkey without green beans. From the homemade crispy onion topping to the creamy mushroom sauce this recipe will take your green bean casserole to the next level.
This recipe is from Alton Brown so not an original Cooking with the Cowboy Recipe. For the full recipe – Alton Brown’s Best Ever Green Bean Casserole
Tips for Making Green Bean Casserole
- We like to make it in a cast iron skillet, but it can be done in a 8×8 casserole dish
- Pairs great with turkey and our Cornbread Dressing
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Kosher salt
- Cooking spray
Beans and Sauce
- Kosher salt
- Green Beans
- Unsalted Butter
- Black pepper
- Chicken broth
How to make Green Bean Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Combine the onions, flour, panko and salt in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Coat a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray and evenly spread the onions on the pan. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Toss the onions 2 to 3 times during cooking. Once done, remove from the oven and set aside until ready to use. Turn the oven down to 400 degrees F.
- While the onions are cooking, prepare the beans. Bring a gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil in an 8-quart saucepan. Add the beans and blanch for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately plunge the beans into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to give up some of their liquid, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and nutmeg and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and simmer for 1 minute. Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the half-and-half. Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 of the onions and all of the green beans. Top with the remaining onions. Place into the oven and bake until bubbly, approximately 15 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.
Full the full recipe visit Food Network – Alton Brown’s Best Ever Green Bean Casserole